Programme and presenter bios – PGR Community Event 2024

9:15: Opening remarks

9:30 – 10:30: Getting to grips with publishing

• Alex Fenlon, Head of Copyright and Licensing at University of Birmingham.
  • Charlotte Jordan, Engagement Manager for Egypt Exploration Society and editor for Egyptian Archaeology magazine.
  • John Rogers, PhD researcher at Swansea University.

10:30: Break

11:00-12:30: Presenting your research

• Sam Powell, PhD researcher at University of Birmingham.

12:30: Break

13:00-14:00: The Final Countdown: submitting your thesis and afterwards

• Ellie Jones: Egyptological research and classics teacher.
  • Jordan Miller, postdoctoral researcher at University of Cambridge.
  • Guido Guarducci, Co-Director of the Center for Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Studies (CAMNES)

14:00: Closing remarks

Bios

Alex Fenlon

Alex leads the Copyright and Licensing Team in the University of Birmingham Library working to support researchers, lecturers and students to overcome the myths and challenges they face when encountering copyright related issues. He will talk about the common issues PGRs should be aware of when undertaking their research, and when thinking about publishing.

Charlotte Jordan

Charlotte Jordan is the Engagement Manager for the Egypt Exploration Society (EES). She undertook her Egyptology BA and MA at the University of Liverpool, and it was during her MA studies that she found her passion for public engagement. As part of her role to promote Egyptian cultural heritage to the wider public, she is Editor of the Egyptian Archaeology magazine. This bi-annual magazine is an accessible publication that reports on recent and current projects of Egyptologists and archaeologists working in the field, museums, or archives, within a date range from the prehistoric to the medieval period.

Egyptian Archaeology magazine

Ellie Jones

My name is Ellie Jones and I completed my DPhil in Egyptology at the University of Oxford, focusing on the representation of elite women in 18th Dynasty non-royal tombs. I finished writing my thesis during the first Covid lockdown in 2020, while simultaneously training to be a secondary school Classics teacher. I have been juggling teaching Classics and continuing my Egyptological research/fieldwork ever since so please feel free to ask me any questions about thesis writing, teaching, and combining academia with other careers!

Guido Guarducci

Guido Guarducci is Co-Director of the Center for Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Studies (CAMNES) and supervisor of the Dpt. of Ancient Studies at the Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute (Florence, Italy). He graduated in Near Eastern archaeology at the University of Florence, Italy (B.A. and M.A). Subsequently he obtained his PhD at the University of Reading (UK) on the same topic. He participated in various excavation projects in Italy, Israel, Syria, Cyprus, Azerbaijan and Türkiye. His research interests are focused on the Late Bronze to Early/Middle Iron Age of Eastern Anatolia and the South Caucasus. He also studied the impact of the Middle/Neo-Assyrian empire over these populations.

John Rogers

John Rogers is a PhD candidate at Swansea University, where his research currently focuses on presentations of personal and state power and authority under Psamtik I.

He has participated in fieldwork at Thebes and Abydos, and his research has been most recently supported by a Swansea University Research Excellence Scholarship.

Jordan Miller

Jordan Miller trained at the University of Oxford. After a BA in Egyptology and Assyriology, he studied approaches to Egyptian and Western art for an MSt, and completed his DPhil in 2022 with a thesis integrating Egyptian religion with work in social anthropology. He is now a Research Associate at the Faculty of Classics and St John’s College, University of Cambridge, where he collaborates on the UKRI-funded project Visual Interactions in Early Writing Systems (VIEWS). Jordan’s ongoing book project reworks concepts of images, bodies, and writing to better account for ancient Egyptian and Classic Maya visual cultures, particularly practices surrounding ‘hieroglyphic’ writing. From July 2025, he will be Assistant Professor in the Department of Near Eastern Studies, Cornell University.

Sam Powell

Sam is a PhD candidate at the University of Birmingham working to create a stylistic typology of ancient Egyptian wooden funerary figures held in UK institutions. She worked previously for English Heritage/Historic England delivering training to local authority staff on a variety of heritage and archaeological topics, as well as leading sessions training other speakers to deliver content. Although she is still on her own presenting journey, she has picked up lots of tips and tricks along the way which she is keen to share.