London Bridge Attacker profiles

Three men perpetrated the attack last Saturday night in the London Bridge and Borough Market areas. All three men have been identified by Scotland Yard.

The most recent attacker to be identified is 22-year-old, Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba. Prior to the attack, he had been living in East London and working at a restaurant. Although the Italian police previously prevented him from travelling to Syria via Istanbul to allegedly join ISIS fighting, they did not share this information with British intelligence and Zaghba was not known to British authorities. He was born in Morocco and lived there most of his life.His mother lives in Italy, as she is separated from his father.

One of the other attackers, Khuram Butt, was known to police and MI5 but police had no understanding of this attack. Butt appeared in a Channel 4 TV documentary called, “The Jihadis Next Door” and was banned from his East London mosque for interrupting a sermon. He was born in Pakistan but came to the UK as a young child; he has been living in Barking, East London. He had a baby and a toddler. Butt was athletic and an Arsenal fan. He angered when he saw women cycling in his area. He played with neighbourhood children often. Butt worked for Transport for London and for a fast food restaurant.

Rachid Redouane, 30, is the third terrorist profiled in the article. He identified as Moroccan and Libyan; however, he sometimes also used the name Rachid Elkhdar. At the time of his death, he was carrying an Irish ID card, which may have helped him obtain permission to enter the UK. He lived in Dublin previously for part of 2015 and possibly 2016. He was not known to police. He was a pastry chef. He married Charisse O’Leary in 2012, a British citizen who ever converted to Islam. Recently, the couple split after disagreements over raising their now 17-month-old daughter.

Terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed on the run after changing into burka on London mosque visit

November 3, 2013

 

A terror suspect who escaped surveillance by changing into a burka on a visit to a mosque was on the run on Sunday night. Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed was last seen at a west London mosque on Friday afternoon. The 27-year-old is “not considered at this time to represent a direct threat to the public”, Scotland Yard said, but urged anyone who sees him to call 999 immediately.

Somalia-born Mohamed, who is 5ft 8in tall and of medium build, arrived at the An-Noor Masjid and Community Centre in Church Road, Acton, at 10am on Friday and was last seen there at 3.15pm that day. He is subject to a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures notice (Tpim).

He is the second person to breach a Tpim since they were introduced to replace control orders early last year. In December, Ibrahim Magag, who is understood to have attended terror training camps in Somalia, absconded after ripping off his electronic tag. Police are still searching for him.

 

The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/terror-suspect-mohammed-ahmed-mohamed-on-the-run-after-changing-into-burka-on-london-mosque-visit-8920055.html

English Defence League leaders arrested on way to Woolwich

Two English Defence League leaders arrested as they attempted to visit the spot where Drummer Lee Rigby was murdered have been released on bail. EDL leader Tommy Robinson and his co-leader Kevin Carroll were detained by police on suspicion of obstructing officers outside Aldgate East station in east London as they attempted to stage what they claimed was a charity walk to Woolwich Barracks via the East London Mosque. Scotland Yard said it had imposed conditions due to fears that both the march and gathering would “result in serious public disorder and serious disruption to the life of the community” and a breach of the conditions would be a criminal offence. The police said attempts had been made to discuss the march and gathering with the EDL and offered it two alternative routes that avoided Tower Hamlets, home to the East London Mosque.

Woolwich attack: Scotland Yard monitoring radical cleric Anjem Choudary’s proclamations

Scotland Yard is closely watching radical cleric Anjem Choudary to see if his proclamations break the law, one of the force’s most senior officers told MPs today. The former spokesman for the now-banned Islamist group Islam4UK, who admitted knowing one of the men charged with the soldier’s murder, is also understood to be receiving police protection outside his east London home.

Nine Arrested in Connection to Woolwich Murder

26 May 2013

 

A 22 year old man was arrested in north London on Sunday in connection to the brutal murder of Drummer Lee Rigby on Wednesday. Witnesses say that five plainclothes police officers arrested the man while he was riding a bike on St Paul’s Road near Highbury Corner Sunday afternoon. A spokesperson for Scotland Yard said, “A 22-year-old man was arrested by officers from the MPS counter-terrorism command investigating the murder of Lee Rigby. The man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder by detectives supported by specialist firearms officers.”

 

Sunday’s arrest brings the total number of individuals arrested in connection to the attack, characterized by the Home Secretary as a lone wolf event, to nine. The two suspects, Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, were shot and detained by police shortly after the attack on Drummer Rigby and are still in hospital. Three other men, aged 21, 24, and 28, were arrested yesterday in south-east London and Greenwich on suspicion of conspiracy to murder. Another man, aged 29, was arrested and released on bail Saturday evening, and two women were arrested in connection to the attack on Thursday but were released without charges.

 

The murder of Drummer Rigby has escalated racial and religious tensions in the UK, and police across the country have made a number of arrests for alleged racial and bigoted posts on social media sites. Faith Matters, an interfaith organization, said that approximately 150 racial or religiously motivated incidents have been reported since the attack on Wednesday, up from a daily average of eight incidents prior to the attack. Some of the incidents include violent attacks and vandalizing of mosques and have led to a number of arrests.

 

English Defence League cancels anti-Muslim march

20 October 2012

 

The English Defence League (EDL) is set to march in Walthamstow, east London, on Saturday. The move is thought to be very provocative since the area is densely populated with Muslims. In addition, Leader Tommy Robinson vowed to show the inflammatory film Innocence of Muslims in the suburb. However, he was arrested in the US and remains in custody. Also, according to the reports, the co-founder of the EDL will not be attending the march as he was arrested by Scotland Yard on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance in east London.

Suspect charged for abducting British journalist in Syria

17 October 2012

On Tuesday British police charged a man for abducting two western journalists working in Syria. Photo journalists John Cantlie from Britain, and Jeroen Oerlemans from the Netherlands, were abducted in Syria between July 17 and 26. On his return to Britain Cantlie first told the media about so-called ‘jihadist’ Britons who fight against the Syrian government. Later on he said that one of his captors was a British doctor who was on sabbatical. At the time the incident sparked a debate about the involvement of the British ‘jihadists’ in the Syrian conflict.

 

British police detained the doctor, Shajul Islam, last week as he flew into Heathrow from Egypt “on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.” According to media reports Cantlie has been helping MI6 to identify the man.

 

Foreign Secretary William Hague, on BBC radio said:
“We would strongly advise them not to do so, and while I can’t comment at the moment in further detail on these cases, on the general subject, we are clearly very vigilant about this, about people either passing through the UK or British nationals who want to commit acts of violence anywhere.”

 

In another development British security services have identified 50 Britons who are fighting against the Syrian government. The ringleader of the groups is thought to be British/Bangladeshi.

 

According to the reports Scotland Yard have seized computers and mobile phones from addresses in Britain linked to the men.

 

Scotland Yard has not commented on the issue.

 

Babar Ahmad and Abu Hamza among UK-held terror suspects

Six terror suspects have lost a battle against their extradition from Britain to the United States. The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that five of them can be extradited, with the case of the sixth, Haroon Aswat, still under review.

Babar Ahmad is a 37-year-old man from Tooting in south London. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17606337> He was first arrested in December 2003, in a major Scotland Yard counter-terrorism operation.

Days later, he was released without charge – accusing the arrest team of assault.

The Metropolitan Police later admitted that he was severely assaulted during that arrest and paid him £60,000 compensation.

In August 2004, he was arrested again, pending extradition. This time he was wanted by America. He has been in prison ever since, setting what appears to be a record for the longest time that a British national has been detained without trial in modern times.

The US authorities accused Mr Ahmad of running an important pro-jihad website called Azzam.com. During the 1990s and early 2000s the English-language website played a key role in encouraging young Muslims in the West to support Mujahideen causes in Bosnia, Chechnya and Afghanistan.

Sharia Law Zones in the UK

28./ 29.07.2011

Last week, various posters appeared in London and other British cities, declaring some areas “Sharia Law Zones”. Distributed by members of the Muslims against Crusades group, the posters inform “You are entering a Sharia-controlled zone – Islamic rules enforced”. Alongside this slogan, pictograms warn there should be no alcohol, no drugs or smoking, no porn or prostitution, no music concerts and no gambling in these zones. As the Daily Mail reports, hate preacher Anjem Choudary, who runs the militant Islam4UK group, has already claimed responsibility for the campaign. As reported earlier, the posters are part of the plan to establish an Islamic Emirate in the long term. According to the Daily Mail, Scotland Yard is working on removing the posters and identifying those responsible for putting them up.

 

Violent Assault on Muslim terror suspect: Police officers found not guilty

03.06.2011, 04.06.2011

Four police officers facing trial on charges of violently assaulting Babar Ahmad, a British Muslim terror suspect (see news coverage 05.05.2011), were cleared of any wrongdoing by a London Court on Friday. The officers were accused of beating up Ahmad and mocking his religion while arresting him in December 2003. Before the arrest, the officers had been informed that Ahmad had received terrorism training. During the trial, they denied Ahmad’s claims and insisted that he violently resisted his arrest, causing several injuries. The men’s arguments against the charges were supported by a recording from an MI5 bug that had been hidden in Ahmad’s home prior to his arrest. As the Guardian reports, according to the defence, this recording did not include any screams of agony or the alleged mocking of Ahmad’s faith by the officers. A jury at Southwark Crown Court found the police officers not guilty of the assault.
However, the trial also brought to light that two of the officers had 40 separate allegations of (racial) assaults against them between 1993 and 2007, mainly involving black or Asian men. Scotland Yard will now carry out a misconduct review and possibly consider disciplinary proceedings. Meanwhile, the four men will return to work, hopeful they can leave these allegations behind them.