‘Muslim Patrol’ vigilante pleads guilty to assault and threats

October 18, 2013

 

A Muslim convert who was part of an east London gang of self-styled vigilantes calling themselves the “Muslim Patrol” pleaded guilty in court on Friday to assaulting two people in the street. Jordan Horner, 19, admitted two charges of assault and using threatening words and behaviour in January this year.

The group threatened to kill non-believers and “shank” them, meaning stab them. They also uploaded videos to YouTube criticising non-Muslims for being inappropriately dressed. Horner and his group allegedly said: “Why are you poisoning your body? It is against Islam. This is Muslim Patrol. Kill the non-believers.” One then told another to “go get the shank” in reference to a knife, but as the group of men started walking away Horner threw punches at two of them, hitting one in the jaw.

The actions of the “Muslim Patrol” were condemned by the East London mosque, which described them as “utterly unacceptable and clearly designed to stoke tensions and sow discord”.

During that incident, he pushed one photographer outside the Walthamstow house of the radical preacher Anjem Choudary two days after Drummer Lee Rigby was killed in Woolwich on 22 May. He also threatened to cut off the head of another photographer, before causing £3,000 of damage to her car.

He will be sentenced at the end of the trial.

 

The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/18/muslim-patrol-vigilante-guilty-assault

Terror suspect pleads guilty in phony NY plot to blow up Federal Reserve Bank in New York

NEW YORK — A Bangladesh native accused of trying to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank in New York with what he thought was a 1,000-pound car bomb pleaded guilty Thursday to terrorism charges stemming from an FBI sting.

“I had intentions to commit a violent jihadist act,” Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis said in a soft voice while entering the plea in federal court in Brooklyn.

He told the judge that he picked the Federal Reserve as the target, but he also expressed remorse, saying he no longer considers himself a jihadist.

“I deeply and sincerely regret my involvement in this case,” he said.

Nafis, 21, had been charged in October with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide material support to al-Qaida. He faces a sentence of 30 years to life at his next court date on May 30.

While under investigation, Nafis spoke of his admiration for Osama bin Laden, talked of writing an article about his plot for an al-Qaida-affiliated magazine and said he would be willing to be a martyr but preferred to go home to his family after carrying out the attack, authorities said.

He also talked about wanting to kill President Barack Obama and bomb the New York Stock Exchange, officials said.

Marine pleads guilty to urinating on corpse of Taliban fighter in Afghanistan, other charges

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — A Marine who pleaded guilty Wednesday to urinating on the corpse of a Taliban fighter in Afghanistan will likely be demoted one rank under a plea agreement, although a military judge called for a much harsher sentence.

Staff Sgt. Edward W. Deptola pleaded guilty to multiple charges at court-martial, including that of violating orders by desecrating remains and posing for photographs with the corpses; and dereliction of duty by failing to properly supervise junior Marines.

The judge, Lt. Col. Nicole Hudspeth, said she would have sentenced him to six months confinement, a $5,000 fine, demotion to private and a bad-conduct discharge. But she is bound by terms of the plea agreement the sergeant reached with military prosecutors. A general will review the sentence and could choose to lower it.

Deptola and another Marine based at Camp LeJeune were charged last year after a video surfaced showing four Marines in full combat gear urinating on the bodies of three Afghans in July 2011. In the video, one of the Marines looked down at the bodies and quipped, “Have a good day, buddy.”

Deptola’s defense attorney, Maj. Tracey Holtshirley, called the case a “lynching” by the news media and general public for an isolated mistake by a well-regarded Marine. He argued Deptola had already been punished enough by the attention and being removed from his platoon. He said he should be demoted two ranks to corporal.

Other Marines involved have received lesser sentences. Staff Sgt. Joseph W. Chamblin pleaded guilty to similar charges last month. Under a deal reached before his court-martial, he lost $500 in pay and was reduced in rank to sergeant. Three other Marines were given administrative punishments for their roles.

Md. teen pleads guilty to US terrorism charges in Pa. case involving plot vs. Swedish artist

PHILADELPHIA — A teen from Pakistan with a once-bright future in the U.S. pleaded guilty Friday to terrorism charges for helping an American woman dubbed “Jihad Jane” support an Irish terror cell planning to wage a Muslim holy war in Europe.

Mohammad Hassan Khalid had won a full scholarship to prestigious Johns Hopkins University before the FBI arrested him last summer at 17, making him the rare juvenile held in federal custody.

Khalid, now 18, faces up to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to a single count of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists. In a secret life online, the high school honors student had agreed to raise money and recruit terrorists for jihad.

Operator of radical Muslim site that posted threats to ‘South Park’ creators pleads guilty

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — A Muslim convert from Brooklyn who ran a website that posted threats against the creators of the television show ‘South Park’ for supposedly insulting the prophet Muhammad has entered a guilty plea.

Jesse Curtis Morton, also known as Younus Abdullah Mohammad, was charged last year with communicating threats and has been in custody since his arrest in Morocco in October.

At plea hearing Thursday in federal court in Alexandria, Morton pleaded guilty to conspiracy, communicating threats and using the Internet to intimidate.

Last year another operator of the Revolution Muslim website, Zachary Chesser, was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Man pleads guilty to Catonsville military recruiting office bomb plot

A Baltimore man pleaded guilty Thursday to trying to blow up a Catonsville military recruiting station.
Antonio Benjamin Martinez, 22, was arrested on Dec. 8, 2010 after he attempted to detonate what he believed to be explosives at the armed forces recruiting station near Baltimore.

According to Martinez’s plea agreement, he was a recent convert to Islam when he began planning an attack against a military building. He confided those plans to an FBI confidential source, saying Muslims were being unjustly killed by the American military.

He said he wanted to kill American soldiers until the country stopped its “war” against Islam, according to the plea agreement. He also posted militant beliefs on his Facebook page.

After he unsuccessfully tried to involve several people in his plot, the FBI source connected Martinez with his fictitious “Afghan brother,” who would help with the operation. The brother was an undercover FBI agent.

After meeting with him, Martinez said the brother was the “answer to his prayers,” according to the plea agreement.
“This is an example of another successful prosecution that resulted from outstanding partnerships between the Muslim community and law enforcement,” said Richard A. McFeely, FBI special agent in charge.

NC terrorism suspect who was charged along with father pleads guilty to plotting violent acts

Zakariya “Zak” Boyd, 22, pleaded to a single count of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists, according to the U.S. attorney’s office. Boyd faces up to 15 years in prison.

Boyd’s father, Daniel, pleaded guilty in February. Daniel Boyd was described by prosecutors as the ringleader of a conspiracy aimed at supporting and participating in violent actions abroad on behalf of a radical jihadist political agenda. The indictment alleged the men raised money to buy assault weapons and conduct training exercises, and that they arranged overseas travel and contacts to help others carry out violent acts.

‘Jihad Jane’ terror suspect pleads guilty in Pa.

A suburban woman who was the live-in caretaker for her boyfriend’s elderly father calmly told a U.S. judge Tuesday that she had worked feverishly online under the name “Jihad Jane” to support Islamic terrorists and moved overseas to further her plan to kill a Swedish artist who had offended Muslims.

LaRose, who spent long hours caring for the father, also was building a shadow life online from 2008 to 2009. According to prosecutors, LaRose “worked obsessively on her computer to communicate with, recruit and incite other jihadists,” using screen names including “Jihad Jane,” “SisterOfTerror,” and “ExtremeSister4Life.”

Times Square Bomber pleads guilty

By Richard Shulman

Suspect Faisal Shahzad pleaded guilty to all 10 counts in the attempted bombing of Times Square, New York.  Unapologetic, he portrayed himself as a soldier of Islam fighting against those who kill Muslims.  This portrayal depicted the current U.S. wars as wars on Muslims.  He admitted being helped by the Taliban of Pakistan.

American/Bosnian arrested on terrorism related charges, pleads guilty

Adis Medunjanin, an American citizen originally from BiH, was arrested Friday on terror charges for ties to al-Qaida Pakistan and plead “not guilty” on Saturday in a Brooklyn court.

Medunjanin and another suspect, Zarein Ahmedzay, originally from Afghanistan, were arrested in Flushing district in Queens, NY.