Oldham MP named as new immigration minister

The Greater Manchester MP at the centre of a row over Muslim women wearing a veil has been named the new immigration minister. Phil Woolas, MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth, prompted anger in some sections of the Muslim community two years ago when he said some people could find veils `frightening and intimidating’. And earlier this year he suggested that the practice of first-cousin marriage in Britain’s Pakistani community was leading to birth defects. Mr Woolas – who is one of Labour’s most vocal critics of the British National Party – has said his efforts to raise awareness of first-cousin marriages won support from doctors and members of the Asian community. He takes on his new Home Office job as part of the wide-ranging government reshuffle announced by Gordon Brown.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=FD64AD56EF75ACD9FA2BD9C4&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Police arrest three over plot to murder PM

The arrests of three men from Blackburn over terror offences are linked to an investigation into threats to kill the Prime Minister, it has been reported. The men are being held in connection with website threats against Gordon Brown and former PM Tony Blair, the BBC said. It was also reported that the threats included a demand for the release of Muslim prisoners from Belmarsh high-security prison in London. The claims shocked East Lancashire community leaders but they were quick to stress how strong community relations are in the area. Two men from Blackburn were arrested at Manchester Airport on Thursday, August 14. Another man, also from Blackburn, was arrested at his workplace, Express Gifts, in Church. It is believed two of the suspects were on their way to Iceland when they were arrested, although the BBC reported that they were going to Finland. Police have declined to name the three men, aged 21, 22 and 23. It is understood two of the suspects are from Percival Street, off Whalley Range, and the third is a friend of theirs from Cromwell Street, off Audley Range.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=D59CC50E870D2421232015FD&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Futuristic centre exhibition

Plans for a new community centre in North Harrow with a “futuristic design” were put on show last weekend. The owners of the current North Harrow Community Centre in Station Road, the Battlers Wells (BW) Foundation, have recently submitted revised plans to Harrow Council to be considered. In September last year, the Muslim group held a consultation on their plans and designs, which were met with opposition from local people. Samantha Sen, who deals with PR for the group said from the feedback collated from the consultation, they have adapted the plans in line with what people had said. The organisation’s plans are to demolish the current assembly hall and replace it with a new centre, sports hall, five-a-side football pitch, a children’s play area, 24-bedroom nursing home, a library and a prayer room. There will also be eight flats built on the site, a gym with separate areas for men and women, seminar rooms and a restaurant and cafe. Dr Nizar Merali of the BW Foundation, said: “This development will integrate all the communities and cultures. It will not just be for the Muslims in Harrow. “The idea behind this is to contribute something to the society we grew up in. “If given permission, the building will have a futuristic design. We are taking a risk with its look but it is something different. “We have already got a Mosque in Harrow and the idea isn’t to have a centre for Muslims, it is to allow everyone to come in.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=2E55BC69EA7A590A0A0BE9E6&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Muslim school facing closure

Oxford’s only Muslim faith school is facing closure as it cannot raise the money to buy its site. The Iqra School, based at the Lawn Upton building in Littlemore, successfully bid to buy the premises from the Diocese of Oxford and the county council, last November. Having agreed a fee of _2.2m, the trust that runs the all-girls secondary school paid a _200,000 deposit and had until July 31 this year to pay the remaining _2m. But a slump in the economy is being blamed after the school failed to raise the required cash. Dr Hojjat Ramzy, chairman of the trustees, said it now had four weeks to come up with the money or face closure. He said: “Many people promised us funds, but can’t afford to give as much as we had hoped. All the money we have been raising has been put back into the school to keep it going and pay teachers. “We have 140 pupils and their education is the most important thing, but time is running out – and, if we do not have this money soon, they will have to start looking for new schools.”http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=B7BAE72CA93B1A4B493A1B3F&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Scots Islamic group hits back at ‘jealous sniping’

The Scottish Islamic Foundation (SIF) has hit back at criticism about the support the organisation has received from the Scottish Government, calling it “misinformed or jealous sniping”. Osama Saeed, the interim chief executive of SIF, is an SNP candidate for the next Westminster election and believes this has been at the root of press attacks on its funding arrangements. The government insisted the _210,000 grant given to constitute the group in March and further aid of _190,000 under the Race, Religion and Refugee Integration Fund had been recommended by independent assessors under proper procedures. Mr Saeed said accusations of favouritism were inaccurate given that other organisations working with Muslims also received grants from the fund, including some groups with strong Labour Party links. The SIF had no permanent staff yet but strict appointment procedures would be followed, said Mr Saeed, pointing out at board level and among volunteers there was cross-party representation. A statement from SIF cited public support from a range of individuals and groups, and added: “There are a tiny handful of people who have been engaged in what others in the wider community are seeing as misinformed or jealous sniping.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=7DE52DD66FF4235074EEC4B5&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Blears ‘to give Muslims a voice’

Hazel Blears has said there will be “far more” work with Muslim communities to tackle radicalism, but ruled out talking to the most extreme groups. Ten years after US embassy bombings in Africa, the communities secretary said she wanted to help angry young people channel anger through democratic means. But it was not right for ministers to engage with those who justified suicide bombing or the destruction of Israel. A leading de-radicaliser says ministers should listen more to their grievances. As ceremonies mark the 10th anniversary of attacks on embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said al-Qaeda’s violent tactics had come under mounting criticism from Islamist scholars who had previously supported it. But former jihadi Hanif Qadir, who tries to steer young men in east London away from violence said the number of young British Muslims attracted to violent extremism was growing.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=2C57BA6BE87C5B080C795A24&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Marriage visa age raised to prevent forced marriages

The age at which someone can apply for a marriage visa will increase from 18 to 21 as part of a crackdown on forced marriage, the Home Office announced on Wednesday. In 2007 the Forced Marriage Unit dealt with 215 cases of overseas forced marriage where the age of the victim was known, 69 of which involved people aged between 18 and 20. The proposals were set out in “Marriage Visas: The Way Forward”. The five key proposals announced were to raise the age of sponsorship for a marriage visa from 18 to 21; ask foreign spouses to enter into an agreement to learn English before they come to the UK; introduce a power to revoke leave to remain where there is evidence that the marriage route has been abused; require all sponsors to register their intention to marry overseas before they leave the UK; and ensure through a code of practice that specialist teams can identify vulnerable people at risk of forced marriage. Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said: “Forced marriage leads to victims suffering years of physical and mental abuse and – in extreme cases – unlawful imprisonment and rape. It has no place in our society. That is why the Government is determined to do everything it can to stamp it out and to ensure that victims receive the help and support they need.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=074A975CD94B6A1B390A0B0F&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

7/7 film ‘Shoot on Sight’ gets UK release date

A new film loosely based around the terrorist bombings in London on July 7th will be released in the cinemas on 22nd August. Directed by American-Indian filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra, Shoot on Sight stars Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Greta Scacchi, Ralph Ineson and Laila Rouass. When an innocent Muslim is killed by the London Police force in the wake of 7/7, Tariq Ali (Shah), a successful Muslim police officer, is asked to head up the internal investigation to hunt-down suspected suicide-bombers. The investigation is clouded by allegations of racism and religious profiling in the Police force, as well as the ongoing threat of terrorism in the capital. At the same time, Lahore-born Tariq – a British citizen married to an English woman with two children – has his loyalties questioned by colleagues in the force, despite his long service to Scotland Yard, as well as fellow Muslims, finding his inquiry hampered from all sides. Producer Aron Govil said: “This film raises important questions about the climate of fear post 7/7 and the direct impact of that terrible day. While we are mindful that the families are still grieving, it is important to look at the climate within which Londoners now live and work and have been forced to deal with on an ongoing basis.”http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=3C276B981D87BEA7DDB64FC4&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Army looks to entice Muslims

British Muslims will be wooed to join the fight against the Taliban in a new Army recruitment drive. Military bosses plan to send serving Muslims back into their communities to encourage others to join the fight in Afghanistan. General Sir David Richards, Commander-in-Chief of Land Forces, revealed the move in an interview with an internal Ministry of Defence journal. He said: “There is an appreciation on our part that the Army would be better getting more Muslims into our ranks.” He added: “I am looking to see if some of our Muslim troops can go back into their communities to act as extra recruiters.” An MoD source revealed Bradford, West Yorks, would be the first area targeted. He said: “We already know there are many young men and women in Bradford very keen to join up.”http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=F77AA76CE97B5A0B094AE8FE&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

‘Young can become addicted to extremism’

Islamic extremism should be regarded as a potential addiction for vulnerable young people in the same way as alcohol, drugs or gambling, according to Scotland’s counter-terrorism co-ordinator. Allan Burnett wants to introduce rehabilitative measures similar to addiction support to prevent youngsters from becoming radicalised by fundamentalists, instead of sending them to prison. Speaking on the eve of the first anniversary of the Glasgow airport attack, Mr Burnett told The Herald that he wants to develop restorative justice and early intervention initiatives for young people as part of the strategy to stop future attacks. The Assistant Chief Constable of Fife is clear that there will be no leniency for those committing acts of serious violence. However, for young people susceptible to being led astray by extremist propaganda, he believes the emphasis should be on prevention. For that to work, he wants to build the trust of parents and the wider community so that if they come forward with concerns, their children will not be automatically penalised. “One of the things we are trying to do is early intervention, which we would use in other areas of behaviour to put a stop to it,” he said. “Just like any other perversion, the primary people who will stop (radicalisation) are parents. It happens with people concerned about their kids drinking, taking drugs or gambling. It happens right across the board and we shouldn’t be surprised that sometimes parents don’t have the knowledge or the skill to intervene in a positive way.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=C78AD71C990B2A5B793AE89F&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News