Man who threatened to kill Prince Harry ‘radicalised in prison’

Ashraf Islam walked into a police station in Hounslow and made threats to kill the third in line to the throne a day after the murder of 25-year-old soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich in London. Islam is thought to have changed his name from Mark Townley and converted to Islam while in jail in Northern Ireland. Islam had different aliases and a string of fraud convictions. After he admitted the threats to kill Prince Harry police found evidence on his laptop that he had visited terrorist and weapons websites. The 30-year-old pleaded guilty to making threats to kill at a hearing in Uxbridge and is in custody awaiting sentence. There are fears Prince Harry could be a target for the Taliban after he completed two tours of Afghanistan, and his security had already been stepped up following the murder of Drummer Rigby.

 

Man behind anti-Islam film due in L.A. court next week

(Reuters) – A California man behind an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests in the Muslim world is due to appear in a federal court in Los Angeles next week for a preliminary hearing on whether he violated the terms of his probation over a 2010 bank fraud conviction, court papers show.

Mark Basseley Youssef, 55, who before went by the name Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, is scheduled to go before U.S. District Judge Christina Snyder on Wednesday, the documents filed on Friday in U.S. District Court show.

The terms of Youssef’s 2011 release from prison include a ban on using aliases without the permission of a probation officer.

The Egyptian-born Youssef has been described as the producer of a crudely made 13-minute video filmed in California and circulated online under a number of titles, including “Innocence of Muslims.” It mocked the Prophet Mohammad and sparked a torrent of anti-American unrest in Egypt and other Muslim countries last month.

Man Tied to Anti-Islam Video Held on Probation Charge

LOS ANGELES — Muslims across the Middle East outraged by an anti-Islam film made in America wanted swift punishment for the man behind the movie, and now Mark Basseley Youssef is behind bars. But he’s jailed for lying about his identity, not because of the video’s content.

Court documents show Youssef, 55, legally changed his name from Nakoula Basseley Nakoula in 2002, but never told federal authorities, who now are using that as part of the probation violation case against him.

Youssef was ordered jailed without bail Thursday until a hearing is held to determine if he violated terms of his supervised release on a 2010 bank fraud conviction. Prosecutors allege he used multiple aliases and lied to his probation officers about his real name.

Youssef, an Egyptian-born Christian who’s now a U.S. citizen, sought to obtain a passport in his new name but still had a California driver’s license as Nakoula, assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Dugdale said Friday. Youssef used a third name, Sam Bacile, in association with the 14-minute trailer for the movie “Innocence of Muslims” that was posted on YouTube. It portrays Muhammad as a religious fraud, womanizer and pedophile.

The case isn’t about Youssef’s First Amendment right to make a controversial film. Rather, Dugdale said, it’s about his failure to live up to his obligation to be truthful with federal authorities.

“The fact that he wasn’t using his true name with probation, that’s where the problem is,” said Dugdale, who noted federal authorities now will refer to Nakoula as Youssef.

Adam Winkler, a constitutional law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles’ School of Law, said U.S. Central District Chief Magistrate Judge Suzanne Segal’s decision to order Youssef held without bail is supported by the evidence.

Tower Hamlets Blames Muslims in the Election Fraud Probe

02 May 2012

Tower Hamlets’ Legal Chief Isabella Freeman rejected the postal vote fraud allegations in the local elections and explained by blaming Muslim voters’ forgetfulness to sign the registered applications. The police has launched an investigation on the allegations.

Travel Agent in Birmingham Found Guilty of Ripping off Muslim Family Over Hajj Pilgrimage

05.11.2011

A small travel agent from Birmingham has been found guilty of ripping off a Muslim family over Hajj pilgrimage package to Saudi Arabia bought in July 2009. As the Birmingham Mail reports, during a five-day trial at Birmingham Court, the jury heard about the family’s trip to Mecca and Medina that was blighted by a “catalogue of disasters” and then found the owner of the agency, Chowdhury Ahmad, guilty of one charge of fraud and three counts of flouting package holiday regulations. Ahmad was released on unconditional bail, but could be jailed when he is sentenced on December 9th.

Prosecutors defend Islamic charity case conviction

Federal prosecutors acknowledged that the government blundered in the prosecution of Pete Seda, an Oregon man convicted of helping to smuggle money through an Islamic charity, but said Friday that the errors weren’t serious enough for a new trial. Court documents filed late Friday contain the government’s first accounting for its failure to tell defense lawyers for Seda that the FBI paid a Southern Oregon man for information and discussed paying the informant’s wife, who was a witness against Seda.

Seda, born in Iran, is a U.S. citizen convicted in September of tax fraud and conspiracy. He was accused of helping to smuggle $150,000 out of the country 11 years ago through the arm of the Al-Haramain charity he operated in Ashland—the charity was declared a terrorist organization by the government. The government said the money was meant for Muslims fighting the Russians in Chechnya.

Dutch Tax Investigation Targets Turkish Bakeries

February 22 2011

The Netherlands’ anti-fraud agency (FIOD) has completed a study of 500 bakeries with owners of non-western origin, and found instances of irregular bookkeeping, illegal employment, tax fraud, or hygiene issues in many of the Turkish bakeries investigated. The tax authority began the investigation last fall together with the justice ministry and welfare authorities. According to the Telegraaf’s coverage of the investigation, 85% of the bakeries investigated were Turkish, and of these 60% displayed cause for concern. Responding to the study, the Turkish business association pointed out the problematic nature of a study which targeted non-western businesses, stating that a study limited to Turkish bakeries “doesn’t make sense”.

Feds to Drop Charges Against Muslim Man Unfairly Targeted by the FBI

On Wednesday, Assistant United States Attorney Patrick R. Fitzgerald filed a motion to dismiss the indictment against Niazi, which included five counts of making false statements, unlawful procurement of naturalization, use of a passport obtained by fraud, and perjury. Niazi was facing a maximum possible sentence of 35 years in jail.

Federal prosecutors have asked a judge to drop charges against the Afghan-born brother-in-law of Osama bin Laden’s bodyguard, saying a key overseas witness was unavailable to testify. The motion to dismiss was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles in the case against Ahmadullah Sais Niazi, who had been accused by prosecutors of lying about his ties to terrorist groups on his citizenship application.

Lies Hebbadj Placed Under Police Watch in France

News Agencies – September 20, 2010

Lies Hebbadj, the grocer from Nantes who came under fire after his wife was fined for wearing a niqab while driving in April, was placed under police watch for the third time in four months because of an “abuse of confidence.” There was some question about how he paid his legal council. The Minister of the Interior, Brice Hortefeux, has suggested that Hebbadj may lose his French citizenship if he is found guilty of fraud. Hebbadj has claimed he is not a polygamist but that the mothers of his children are his mistresses.

Lies Hebbadj Placed Under Police Watch in France

News Agencies – September 20, 2010

Lies Hebbadj, the grocer from Nantes who came under fire after his wife was fined for wearing a niqab while driving in April, was placed under police watch for the third time in four months because of an “abuse of confidence.” There was some question about how he paid his legal council. The Minister of the Interior, Brice Hortefeux, has suggested that Hebbadj may lose his French citizenship if he is found guilty of fraud. Hebbadj has claimed he is not a polygamist but that the mothers of his children are his mistresses.