Terror attack at Orly airport

A “radicalized Muslim” known to security services has been shot dead after attempting to steal a soldier’s gun at Paris Orly Airport.

The 39-year-old French citizen, identified as Ziyed Ben Belgacem, shot at police officers manning a checkpoint in northern Paris with an “air pistol” before launching the airport attack, the French interior minister said.

During a visit to the airport, Bruno Le Roux said one officer was shot during the routine check and was undergoing hospital treatment for injuries to his face.

“We can link the [airport attacker’s] identity with a check carried out at Garges-les-Gonesse by a patrol in Stains this morning,” he added.

 

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins told a news conference on Saturday evening that at the airport, Belgacem yelled he wanted to die in the name of Allah and said “whatever happens, there will be deaths”.

Mr Molins said the attacker held an air pistol to a soldier’s head and used her as a shield. He apparently wanted to use her weapon to shoot people in the busy airport.

Contrary to earlier reports by French officials, Mr Molins said the attacker did wrench away her powerful military-grade assault rifle.

The soldier’s colleagues fired three bursts – eight rounds in all – when they killed him.

Belgacem had a lengthy criminal history of violence, robbery and drug offences but was not on the “fiche S” list of terror threats, despite being investigated by the DGSI as a potential jihadi after indications of Islamist radicalisation emerged in 2015.

Mr Molins said three people were being held in police custody, and that Belgacem’s choice of target and evidence that he had been radicalised justified launching a terrorism investigation.

Belgacem is believed to have been radicalized in prison and was put under surveillance after being freed, although it was unclear when monitoring stopped.

Prosecutors said no evidence of extremism was uncovered in a search of his home, which was among scores raided in the immediate aftermath of the Paris attacks.

“The individual’s identity is known to the police and intelligence services.” Belgacem’s father and brother, as well as a cousin, have been detained for questioning.

‘We tried to do everything right. Doesn’t that matter?’

Hamid Kargaran was pacing in his San Francisco living room Sunday, not watching the news, trying to stay positive, waiting for his wife to call from Iran. She was due to leave for the airport within the hour, hoping that this time she wouldn’t be prevented from boarding a plane back home.

“I never thought when I moved here and made this country my home that this would happen,” he said. “I employ people, I pay taxes. We love this country. But I feel like the hard work has been meaningless. We’re second-class citizens.”

Now he was waiting, and he knew there would be no relief until his wife actually walked into the sun in San Francisco. In three hours, she would find out whether Lufthansa agents in Tehran would let her onto a plane. In Germany, she would learn whether officials there would let her transit to California. At home, she still had to pass through U.S. passport control.

“I don’t know,” Kargaran said. “We’ve tried to do everything right. Doesn’t that matter?”

‘Donald Trump destroyed my life,’ says barred Iraqi who worked for U.S.

CAIRO – The photos of the Sharef family spoke volumes about their plight.

In the first two, the Iraqis are happily seated on their plane, smiling. They were flying from their home in Irbil to New York. In the next few, they are seated in Cairo’s airport, their faces glum and haggard. By then, they had been taken off their plane — and informed they could no longer travel to the United States.

It did not matter that they had valid visas. It did not matter that they were headed to Nashville to start a new life. President Trump’s executive order banning entry to citizens of Iraq and six other mostly Muslim nations had caught up with the family of five.

Judge: Dutch news paper violated Muslim right to privacy

“De Volkskrant”, one of the main news papers in the Netherlands, has to pay a fine of 1.500 euro to Mohammed Rashid. Rashid’s picture featured in an article of the news paper on security at Schiphol Airport. According to the judge his right to privacy has been violated because of this act. But the judge did not conclude an official rectification was necessary.

The article called “Is Schiphol still safe?” featured a photo of Rashid that was taken without his consent as a visitor of the airport going through a stringent safety control by car. He did not accept what he perceived as a case of negative framing of Muslims and demanded a fine and rectification, demanding an expression of regret towards him, his family, and “the Islamic community of the Netherlands”.

The link below contains a video interviewing Mohammed Rashid and his lawyer for Dutch television about the court decision:

http://www.republiekallochtonie.nl/rechter-volkskrant-schond-met-foto-privacy-mohammed-rashid

The Story of Semra: arrested and imprisoned as a victim of a jihad recruiter

In March 2013 Semra, 16 at the time, was arrested on the airport, while she was in the company of Imad el O. The two are suspected to be going to Syria, although Semra claims they wanted to go to Egypt to get married there and to study. It was Semra’s niece who told the police this. Imad el O. and her friend Shukri F. appeared allready in court. Imad el O. because he took her from her parental house and Shukri F. because she is said to try to convince Semra to become a jihad-bride.

For 1.5 years Semra stayed in a youth institution, which she herself describes as detention. She lived there mainly with loverboy victims. She was told not to speak about Islam.

Semra still wants to leave the Netherlands, together with Imad el O., maybe to Morocco. She is angry, saying that the police and childcare services knew about her situation at home, knowing that she had a lot of fights with her parents. But the treated her ‘like a dog.’ She says she was not recruited for the jihad, she ran away from home because of the problems with her parents.

Briton sentenced to life in prison for drug smuggling

March 18, 2014

 

Khadija Shah, a 26-year-old British woman of Pakistani descent, was sentenced to life in prison in Pakistan on Tuesday after being convicted of trying to smuggle 63 kilograms of heroin out of the country. According to reports, Shah was arrested at the Islamabad airport in May 2012 after the heroin was discovered in several suitcases in her possession. She has claimed that she was carrying the cases for someone else and was unaware of their contents. Her lawyer, Shahzad Akbar, said they would appeal the conviction — given by the Special Narcotics Court in Rawalpindi — next week.

Maya Foa, the director of legal charity Reprieve’s Death Penalty team, said the conviction was “a terrible outcome” for Shah and her baby girl, who was born in prison; Shah was six-months pregnant at the time she was arrested. Foa urged the British government to “ensure that Khadija gets the urgent assistance she needs to appeal her sentence so that her baby doesn’t grow up behind bars.” A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said they were aware of the case and providing Shah and her family with “consular assistance.”

 

Source: http://tribune.com.pk/story/684256/british-pakistani-woman-given-life-sentence-for-drug-smuggling/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=%2AAfPak%20Daily%20Brief&utm_campaign=South%20Asia%20Daily%20Brief%203-19-14

Richard Dawkins attempts to shame Twitter after Bin Laden honey criticism

November 5, 2013

 

Richard Dawkins has responded to Twitter derision after his honey was confiscated at Edinburgh airport, condemning his critics for their unwillingness to believe his public-spiritedness.

He had pointed to the restriction as proof “Bin Laden has won”, slamming the “inflexible rule-bound airport security.” He tweeted “Of course I know the airport security rules. My point is those rules are stupid advertising displays of dundridge zeal. Bin Laden has won.”

He later sought to clarify his remarks, posting: “Do you idiots seriously think I give a damn about my stupid honey? It’s the PRINCIPLE I care about. Get it? Principle, not honey, principle.”

Dawkins’ blaming of Bin Laden proved most amusing with those the scientist labelled “the tweeting twerps” seizing upon the hash tag #TweetLikeRichardDawkins.

However Dawkins dismissed ideas that he was overreacting by comparing the confiscation of honey with terrorist atrocities, writing “aren’t our rule-merchants playing into Bin Laden’s dead hands by their futile displays of stable-door-shutting?”

 

The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/richard-dawkins-attempts-to-shame-twitter-after-bin-laden-honey-criticism-8922553.html

Veils are not appropriate in classrooms or airport security, says Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg

It is not appropriate for students to wear a full veil in the classroom or for people to go through airport security with their faces covered, Nick Clegg has said. But the deputy prime minister said he did not want to see a state ban on the wearing of religious items of clothing in particular circumstances. His comments came as a Liberal Democrat minister said the government should consider banning Muslim girls and young women from wearing the veil in public places.

 

The Home Office minister Jeremy Browne called for a national debate on whether the state should step in to prevent young women having the veil imposed upon them. His intervention was sparked by a row over the decision by Birmingham Metropolitan College to drop a ban on the wearing of full-face veils amid public protests. Browne said he was “instinctively uneasy” about restricting religious freedoms, but he added there may be a case to act to protect girls who were too young to decide for themselves whether they wished to wear the veil or not.

 

He told the Daily Telegraph. There is genuine debate about whether girls should feel a compulsion to wear a veil when society deems children to be unable to express personal choices about other areas like buying alcohol, smoking or getting married.

“This is a free country and people going about their own business should be free to wear what they wish. I think it is very un-British to start telling people what pieces of clothing they should wear.

 

“I think there are exceptions to that as far as the full veil is concerned – security at airports, for instance. It is perfectly reasonable for us to say the full veil is clearly not appropriate there. And I think in the classroom, there is an issue, of course, about teachers being able to address their students in a way where they can address them face-to-face. I think it is quite difficult in the classroom to be able to do that.”

 

The Tory backbencher Dr Sarah Wollaston said the veils were “deeply offensive” and were “making women invisible”, and called for the niqab to be banned in schools and colleges.

Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, said he was disgusted by Browne’s calls to consider banning Muslim girls and young women from wearing the veil in public places.” This is another example of the double standards that are applied to Muslims in our country by some politicians,” he said. Adding: “We would expect these sorts of comments from the far right and authoritarian politicians and not from someone who allegedly believes in liberal values and freedom.”

Moroccan Imams get together in Terrassa before the Ramadan

09 July 2013

 

A number of imams coming from Morocco landed at El Prat airport on Monday night to lead the prayers of the Catalan Islamic community during Ramadan. They were presented at the Grand Mosque in Terrassa, the largest in the country.

The presence of foreign Imams is normal for this time of the Islamic calendar and through them the 300.000 Muslims of Catalonia have the opportunity to discover the reality of other countries.

Lampedusa awaits the Pope who will meet Muslim Immigrants

7/7/2013

 

Last minute preparations are being made on the Island for the arrival of the Pope on Monday morning at 9:15. Likely 15,000 in attendance, the mayor: “A visit at no cost thanks to the involvement of citizens”.

 

The Pope will meet one of the fifty Muslim refugees at Pier Favaloro in Lampedusa. This was confirmed by the parish priest of the island, Don Stefano Nastas. “We chose” explains Fr Stepheno “men, women, children, and youth. They are representative of those who are at the reception center.” For the Pope’s visit, 15,000 people are expected, including thousands of pilgrims.

The Program. The Pope will depart from Ciampino Airport at 8 am and at 9:15 am will land on the island where he will be welcomed by the Archbishop of Agrigento, Francesco Montenegro, and the Mayor of Pelagie, Giusi Nicolini. Off the coast, near the port of Europe, He will launch a wreath in memory of those who lost their lives at sea. At 9:30, a boat will enter the port where customarily immigrants arrive. At 10, the mass. Papa Francesco use a chalice made ​​with wooden pieces from the boats of immigrants. At 11:30, the pontiff will reach the parish of St. Gerland. At 12:30 will leave the parish and will go to the airport at 12:45 where he will land at Ciampino airport an hour later. During his visit, the Pope will meet with, as mentioned, a delegation of 50 migrants who are housed at the reception center on the island.