Meal builds bridges between Muslims and inner-city residents

News Agencies – June 10, 2012

Dozens of volunteers from Edmonton’s Muslim community spent their Sunday helping feed inner-city residents. They set up in the Hope Mission, preparing and handing out 800 roast beef dinners.

“It’s a human obligation,” said Ahmed Ali, one of the volunteers.”We all might succumb to this type of situation, so it’s good to give back.” When they were still finding their feet in their new home, Ali says his family often relied on charities and organizations for food.

The meal has been a tradition in Edmonton for a decade. Ali says it’s a chance to disprove some of the stereotypes that plague both the city’s immigrant and homeless populations – especially in the wake of media attention that Ali says often paints the communities in a bad light.

Three terrorists found guilty of transatlantic jet bombing plot

A court found three men guilty Monday of plotting to blow up at least seven transatlantic airliners using liquid explosives, in what would have been a “terrorist event of global proportions”. Ringleader Abdulla Ahmed Ali was found guilty of conspiring to murder thousands in the plot, whose discovery in 2006 triggered wide-ranging new rules on carrying liquids on commercial aircraft. Tanvir Hussain, 28, and Assad Sarwar, 29, were found guilty on the same charges of plotting to carry out bombings on aircraft flying from London’s Heathrow airport to the United States and Canada. “This was a calculated and sophisticated plot to create a terrorist event of global proportions,” the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said after the verdict. The trio were previously found guilty of conspiracy to murder, but the jury in their first trial could not decide on charges that they had plotted to kill people by bringing down airliners.

UK terror suspect says bomb plans were stunt

A man has denied leading a plot to cause mass murder by blowing planes out of the sky with the excuse that he had meant instead to explode small devices inside the Houses of Parliament as part of a publicity stunt. Abdulla Ahmed Ali, 27, said that suicide videos which the prosecution claims prove a plot to bomb seven planes flying to North America were in fact made as part of a “propaganda” documentary planned for release after the small explosions in Westminster. He told a jury at Woolwich crown court that the “documentary” would be released on YouTube and was intended to expose the effects of British foreign policy. Ali is one of eight men standing trial after their alleged plot was disrupted in August 2006. They all deny conspiracy to murder and to endanger aircraft. In April, while opening its case, the crown played videos of Ali found after he was arrested in which he warned of “body parts… decorating the streets” if Muslims were not left alone. He is seen speaking against the backdrop of a black flag with Arabic writing on it. Ali said the root cause of the suffering was British and American foreign policy prompting him and co-accused, Assad Sarwar, to come up with the idea of setting off explosions in Britain to change things.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=82FE24E162F2D1829152D362&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News

Suspect ‘vowed lesson for West’

The suspected leader of an alleged plot to blow up transatlantic planes mid-air promised to teach the West a “lesson they will never forget”, a court heard. Abdulla Ahmed Ali, 27, made the vow during the 16-minute “martyrdom” video played at Woolwich Crown Court. Prosecutors say eight men planned to kill thousands by detonating home-made bombs, disguised as soft drinks, aboard flights to North America. All deny conspiring to murder and endangering planes in 2006. ‘Time has come’ Jurors were shown footage of what prosecutors said was Mr Ali wearing a black and white headscarf, against a backdrop of a black flag covered with Arabic writing. In the video, he said: “This the opportunity to punish and humiliate the kuffar [unbelievers], to teach them a lesson they will never forget.

Alleged would-be suicide bombers made ‘martyrdom videos’

Six Islamic fanatics recorded violent martyrdom videos as they prepared a terrorist attack on transatlantic aircraft, a court heard today. The gang’s leader told Western leaders to “stop meddling in our affairs” or body parts will be left “decorating the streets”, a jury heard. Another alleged bomber’s video message appeared to address the British public, accusing them of being too busy watching EastEnders and Home And Away to “care about anything”. Prosecutors said defendant Abdulla Ahmed Ali was willing to carry a home-made liquid bomb aboard a flight to north America and detonate it himself. Ali is one of eight men on trial accused of conspiring to murder and to endanger aircraft at Woolwich Crown Court in south-east London. They deny the charges. Prosecutor Peter Wright QC said the gang considered other targets in addition to at least seven flights leaving from London Heathrow airport within hours of each other. He said there was evidence Canary Wharf, a gas pipeline between Belgium and the UK, chemical companies, oil refineries and other UK airports were possible targets. The jury also heard how the gang stockpiled materials for their home-made liquid devices which were to be smuggled on to aircraft disguised as 500ml soft drinks.