Radical “cleric” Abu Hamza has launched a High Court battle against extradition to the US to face terror charges. He is wanted for allegedly trying to set up an al-Qa’ida training camp in Oregon. He is also claimed to have helped the gang who kidnapped Western tourists in Yemen in 1998, killing three Britons. But his lawyers are arguing extradition should be blocked because evidence gained by torture was being used against him. They also claim it would be “unjust and oppressive” to extradite because of the passage of time and it would be incompatible with his human rights. Egyptian-born Hamza, 49, is taking part in the hearing via a video link from Belmarsh top security prison, where he is serving a seven-year term for inciting followers – including the July 7 London bombers – to murder “non-believers”.http://themuslimweekly.com/newsdetails/fullstoryview.aspx?NewsID=D49FC2038014332034DE870C&MENUID=HOMENEWS&DESCRIPTION=UK%20News
The two ringleaders of a British al-Qaeda-style terrorist recruitment and training cell, who organised terror camps in beauty spots around the UK, were jailed today. Mohammed Hamid – who once called himself “Osama bin London” – and Atilla Ahmet both groomed impressionable young Muslim men to fight jihad against non-believers. Among their followers were several of the failed suicide bombers who attacked the capital on July 21, 2005. Hamid, 50, who organised brain-washing talks at his home in east London, was jailed indefinitely with a minimum term of seven-and-a-half years. Ahmet, 44, the self-styled emir of the gang and a former senior aide of Abu Hamza, was jailed for six years and 11 months at Woolwich Crown Court. Mr Justice Pitchers, the trial judge, told Hamid that he will continue to be a danger to the public because of his ability to persuade others to commit terrorism.
An Islamic terror chief who dubbed himself “Osama bin London” and helped train the 21/7 bombers faces life in jail, it was revealed yesterday. Mohammed Hamid, 50, called on followers to carry out attacks even worse than the 7/7 atrocity in which 52 died when four devices exploded on London’s public transport system. The former football coach said 7/7 was “not even a breakfast for me” and teamed up with jailed cleric Abu Hamza’s right hand man Atilla Ahmet to recruit and train followers. He was convicted last week of three charges of soliciting to murder and three of providing terrorist training at camps in the Home Counties. But the verdicts could not be revealed until yesterday, when a number of other recruits pleaded guilty to various charges at Woolwich crown court, South London. Adrian Shaw reports.
Lawyers for Islamist cleric Abu Hamza have lodged an appeal against his extradition from Britain to the US. Hamza is accused by United States of being part of a global plot and waging jihad against Western countries, and officials want to try him over the 1998 abduction of 16 Western tourists in Yemen. The Egyptian-born preacher is currently serving a 7-year sentence in the UK for inciting murder and hatred. A court in London originally approved hamza’s extradition, but the handover to US authorities had been pending the final approval of the home secretary.
Britain intends to extradite jailed Islamist cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri to the United States to face terrorism charges, the Home Office said. The interior ministry made the announcement on Thursday after Home Secretary Jacqui Smith signed an extradition order. Hamza’s lawyer, Muddassar Arani, said an appeal would be filed because “there are some very serious issues that need to be considered”. If Hamza’s initial appeal is unsuccessful, he could file further appeals with the House of Lords, Britain’s highest court of law and, were it denied there, finally to the European Court of Justice or European Court of Human Rights, depending on the section of law he decided to contest. A Home Office spokeswoman said the process could take several months. Washington claims Hamza, 49, was part of a global plot to wage holy war or jihad against Western countries – he applauded the terrorist attacks on the US on September 11, 2001 – and US authorities want him to stand trial over the 1998 abduction of 16 Western tourists in Yemen. Four of the hostages, three Britons and an Australian, were killed when Yemeni troops stormed the militants’ hide-out.