Terror attacks receive five times more media coverage if perpetrator is Muslim, study finds

Terror attacks carried out by Muslims receive more than five times as much media coverage as those carried out by non-Muslims in the United States, according to an academic study.

Analysis of coverage of all terrorist attacks in the US between 2011 and 2015 found there was a 449 per cent increase in media attention when the perpetrator was Muslim.

Muslims committed just 12.4 per cent of attacks during the period studied but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage, the survey found.

The study, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2928138, was conducted by researchers at Georgia State University.

Kalkaska Village leader stands by Muslim killings call

Kalkaska Village President Jeff Sieting said Monday that he doesn’t owe anyone an apology over his Facebook posts, which denounce Islam and call for the killing of “every last Muslim.”

The posts were discovered by area native Cindy Anderson, who along with others unsuccessfully sought an apology last month. They’re now looking to remove Sieting from office.

One post Sieting shared said Muslims are destructive and “there is simply no place for them in our world.”  Sieting contends that his speech is protected by the First Amendment.

The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called for state and national leaders to repudiate what Sieting posted.

“Sieting’s unabashed bigotry sounds eerily familiar to those who have stirred people to commit genocide against religious and ethnic minorities in other parts of the world,” said Dawud Walid, CAIR-MI executive director.

France, Britain to jointly combat online terror threat

The UK and France are moving ahead with a joint plan to fight terrorism, online hate speech, and to crack encrypted data.

Speaking together in Paris on Tuesday, President Macron and UK prime minister Theresa May said the two countries were renewing their counter-terrorism cooperation.

The plan includes possibly imposing fines on social media giants for not taking down flagged online hate speech quickly enough. They also spoke about prying apart encrypted messages, which posed broader questions on civil liberty and cyber security.

But Macron said they first wanted to make sure internet operators “delete any content promoting hatred and terrorism in any way.”

May echoed Macron’s views and said that while cooperation between their intelligence agencies was strong, more should be done to tackle the online threat.

“We are launching a joint UK-French campaign to ensure that the internet cannot be used as a safe space for terrorists and criminals,” she said.

May said the plan was to get companies to develop tools to identify and automatically remove the offending material. “Our campaign will also include exploring creating a legal liability for tech companies if they fail to take the necessary action to remove unacceptable content,” she said.

France currently has no laws for mandatory encryption backdoors, but instead allows for government hacking to access pre-encrypted data.

A 2015 Intelligence Act gives French intelligence officers blanket immunity to hack computers abroad and also enables them to break into systems at home. In 2016, the French version of a French-German joint statement on counter-terrorism also called for a ban on unbreakable encryption. The German version did not. The UK can already compel the removal of encryption via its 2016 investigatory powers act. The British government also has the power to hack anyone’s computer.

Pressure has been mounting for EU legislation on granting police forces access to encrypted data, with French and German ministers calling for an EU bill before the end of the year.

 

European Muslim organisations react to terrorist attacks in Manchester

Condemnations coming from Muslim individuals and groups in the UK and in Europe have multiplied after the attacks in Manchester. Like their national counterparts, European Muslim organisations have expressed their firm condemnation of terrorism. 

On May 23, reacting to the terrorist attack in Manchester, the Federation of Islamic Organisations in Europe, based in Brussels, released a press statement. The Federation insists on the need for concerted efforts in the face of terrorist attacks which target the entire society :

Similarly, the European Muslim Union, based in Strasbourg, has also expressed its dismay and called for European Muslim communities to contribute to the prevention of radicalism in their midst :

“With dismay and shock, the European Muslim Union received the horrible news of another attack on the public in an European country. This latest attack, on a concert venue in the English city of Manchester, took the lives of more than 20 people and injured several others. EMU expresses their deepest condolences to the family of the killed persons and hopes for a speedy recovery of the injured.

Notwithstanding the identity of the perpetrators and their possible ideological and organisational background, this and earlier acts of nihilistic violence in European cities are the hallmarks of the latest and yet worst bread of terrorism which is even devoid of any kind of discernible goal or content. As such its only aim seems to be the stirring up of hate and resentment in the European societies and their respective components.

EMU states unequivocally: the European Muslims reject in their overwhelming majority any kind of criminal acts and their underlying ideologies. Furthermore, the protection and wellbeing of a peaceful public sphere and equal access for everyone to it is in their best interest. Therefore, EMU calls the European Muslims and their communities to remain vigilant against extremist groups, their actions and to maintain their absolute refusal to give them any support – even if only by not taking their danger seriously.

EMU calls on the Muslim communities in Europes and their most capable leadership to invest more energy, knowledge and resources in the prevention of any kind of radicalism in their midst. (…)”. (May,23)

These condemnations, made through press statements or via social networks, are expressed with the strongest terms and leave no doubt on the strong rejection of the terrorist attacks.

 

Sources :

http://www.emunion.eu/jupgrade/

Blogger Mehdi Meklat caught posting anti-Semitic tweets

Mehdi Meklat, a 24-year-old writer/blogger has come under fire after revelations that he has for years been posting anti-Semitic, mysogynistic, homophobic and pro-jihadi tweets.

Meklat, along with writing partner Badrouine Said Abdallah, shot to fame through the Bondy Blog, a site created for and by sub-Saharan and North African second-generation immigrants seeking to celebrate “ethnic diversity” and insert “the stories from the ‘hood into the larger national debates.”

Meklat tweeted more than 50,000 offensive tweets from 2012 to 2014. Before the Césars he tweeted: “Bring on Hitler to kill the Jews.” Just before the massacre at Charlie Hebdo, he tweeted about the magazine’s editor Stephane Charbonnier “Charb, what I’d really like to do is shove some Laguiole knives up his …” He praised Mohammad Merah, who murdered Jewish schoolchildren in Toulouse: “I find the phrase, ‘I love death the way you love life,’ of Mohammed Merah troubling in its beauty.” In blatant homophobia: “Long live the fags, long live AIDS under President Francois Hollande.”

Of far-right French politician Marine Le Pen, he wrote that he would “slit her throat the Muslim way.”

In a lengthy note on Facebook Meklat apologized for the posts while attempting to absolve himself of culpability, claiming to be victim of a time when Twitter was “a digital Wild West. A new object, almost confidential, where no rule was enacted, no moderation exercised.” 

He had tweeted under the name Marcelin Deschamps, inspired by French Dada artist Marcel Duchamp. The stunt, he said, was a commentary on the racism of France’s Old Guard, but “quickly became an evil villain … who couldn’t be stopped” in his attempts to “provoke.” The social media alter-ego had “nothing to do with me… It is now dead and should have never existed,” Meklat wrote.

“You have life on your side, you have your experiences, your wanderings, your loves, your past that sticks to your present, anchored in you. But it does not matter until you have no money. You are therefore a slave,” wrote Meklat with his writing partner Badrouine Said Abdallah in their recent novel Minute. As Meklat gained accolades for his creative projects, the media discovered his second Twitter account, but barely responded. That was until a French tweeter, identified by Le Monde as a teacher, expressed outrage at one of Meklat’s television appearances. The teacher pleaded, successfully, for the country to demand the author answer for Meklat’s obscene and offensive tweets.

The “Meklat affair” has also given fuel to France’s rising far-right, including Marine Le Pen’s niece Marion Le Pen, who placed the blame with France’s left-wing media.

 

French police criticized for dressing as Muslims during drug raid

Police in Marseille have been criticized over the arrest of a suspected drug dealer made by two officers dressed in traditional Muslim attire. The suspect was detained on Wednesday in La Bricarde neighborhood in the north of the city, along with two other alleged members of his crew in an operation in which 1.2 kilograms of cannabis and 300 euros in cash were seized. An otherwise unremarkable arrest, were it not for the fact that two of the officers were dressed in a qamis and jilbab, long tunics typically worn by conservative Muslims. The arrest was caught on camera and quickly spread through social media.

 

The arrest was part of an operation by a special brigade within the national police, a spokesperson of the Regional Directorate of Public Security [DDSP] confirmed.

Many were angered that the police were dressed specifically as Muslims when other civilian clothing could just as well have been used.

“It’s normal that banlieusards feel stigmatized when the police use these kind of procedures, which speaks volumes about the city conditions,” wrote a person who originally posted the video on Twitter.

This is the first time that I’ve heard of the police using this strategy. I don’t think it’s right for the police to pretend to be Muslim just in order to arrest someone, even if the rules do go out of the window in this game of cat-and-mouse,” “Wassim,” a local resident, told France 24. “They could have simply been in mufti, without having to pretend to be Muslim.”

But others have not been so quick to criticize, saying it was necessary for the officers to blend into an area that’s deeply suspicious of police.

“In the neighborhoods, there are people who act as lookouts and immediately alert the dealers when the police are coming,” said “Clara,” another local resident. “So, I think that trying to blend into the crowd in order not to attract attention is a good way of catching traffickers.”

Campaign Launches to Get More Muslims Active in Politics

BOSTON — A nationwide campaign to get more Muslim Americans involved in local politics is being launched by a Massachusetts nonprofit.

Jetpac Inc. is focused on training Muslim Americans how to leverage social media, data analysis and other critical political tools to build winning campaigns for city council, school committee and other down ballot races.

The goal is to build stronger, more sophisticated grassroots political organizations with an eye toward the 2018 elections, according to Shaun Kennedy, Jetpac Inc.’s executive director.

“The community as a whole is about 50 years behind in terms of organizing,” said Kennedy, who is not Muslim. “The younger generation is trying to step up. The older generation just tried to fly under the radar. They didn’t want to be part of the political conversation. Unfortunately they are now, whether they like it or not.”

“Any Muslim candidate doesn’t need to draw attention to the fact that they’re Muslim. Someone else is going to do that for them,” he said. “At the end of the day, they are running as Americans. They’re not Muslim American candidates but American candidates who just so happen to be Muslim.”

Judges Say NYPD Justified in Muslim Spying Records Request

NEW YORK — A New York appellate court has ruled the New York Police Department was justified in using a Cold War-era federal legal doctrine to deny releasing records about the possible surveillance of two Muslim men.

In a decision handed down Thursday, the panel of judges in Manhattan said heightened law enforcement concerns warranted the police department invoking the Glomar doctrine to neither confirm nor deny the existence of certain documents.

New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/06/02/us/ap-us-nypd-surveillance-lawsuits.html

Hate Incidents After European Referendum Results: A Compilation (MCB)

 

The Muslim Council of Britain has compiled over 100 hate incidents that has taken place since the results of the European Referendum were announced on Friday 24 June 2016.

The screen shots below are reports of actual incidents or hate  on social media.

The MCB will be monitoring the situation carefully and will be adding to this page.

Sources:

Page source: http://www.mcb.org.uk/post-referendum-hate-crimes/

@PostRefRacism
Sarah Childs Album on Facebook
Jasvir Singh

Medway councillor Mike Franklin sparks investigation over ‘offensive’ tweets about Islam

Comments by a Conservative councillor on social media are being investigated after being described by his opponents as “extremely offensive”.

Several other messages, some of which have since been removed from his account, promoted anti-Islamic views, which opposition councillors said were inappropriate, particularly from someone representing a socially and ethnically diverse ward.

The Luton and Wayfield councillor took to Twitter a few months before his election in May last year and has since drawn attention for a number of tweets – prompting the online blog The Political Medway to publish a collection of them in January under the title The Troubling Tweets of Conservative Councillor Michael Franklin.

Speaking this week, Cllr Franklin admitted some of the tweets had gone too far.

“I may be what you call a veteran councillor, and I’m naive to Twitter,” he said. “A couple of judgements weren’t perhaps right. I don’t even remember more than one about Justin Trudeau.

“I’ve said nothing that implies that I hate anybody or that I’m racist,” he said. “It’s a political argument used to attack me.”

One of his retweets showed a photo of Muslim political activist Anjem Choudary, captioned with: “Westerners need to accept the fact that Islam will dominate all lands it touches! The holy Koran teaches us that where we put our feet we shall rule that land, it’s that simple.” Cllr Franklin retweeted that with his own comment: “Anyone still have doubts?”

Labour councillor Tristan Osborne, who also represents the ward, said he was unsure what Cllr Franklin meant by his exclusion and that residents and groups were entitled to communicate with whoever they wanted.

“The fact is his tweets were inappropriate,” he added. “He’s someone who has been in politics for many years – he was on Rochester council for many years – and he should have a common-sense view about what is appropriate.”