Portugal and Spain news and research
PhD Student Department of Cultural Studies, School of Humanities, Tilburg University
Areas of Expertise:
- Islam and Muslims in the West
- Islam and Muslims in Portugal
- Islam and Muslims in Spain
- Middle East
- Jihad and Islamic terrorism
- Palestina: A Terra Prometida Judeus, Cristãos E Muçulmanos(Palestine, the Promised Land – between Jews, Christians and Muslims). Editora Prefácio, Lisboa, 2005.
- Islam in Europe. Editora Prefácio, Lisboa, 2006, pp. 121-135.
- Islam and Terrorism in the domain of National Defense and Security in Portugal
- European Union and the Mediterranean Security CASD-CESEDEN-CHEM-IDN C4 Summit, Madrid, 2006.
Claudia Carvalho is a PhD student at Tilburg University, School of Humanities, analyzing the theme of religious violence in the form of Jihad and Islamic Terrorism. In 2003 she completed summa cum laude her Master Degree in International Relations with a thesis about the Israeli-Arabic conflict that was later published as a book. Pursuing further her education she attended the Course of National Defense promoted by the Portuguese Defense Ministry in 2005. Also in this year she co-wrote a book, Islam in Europe, where she traced the profile of Islamic communities in Scandinavian countries. Since then she has been actively participating in International and national Conferences over Islam, Jihad and Terrorism, either as a key speaker and as a panelist.
Claudia focuses her research interests on Islam, rituals, religious violence, Jihad, e-Jihad and Terrorism.