Army alert says AWOL soldier admits he planned an attack on Fort Hood, site of 2009 rampage

KILLEEN, Texas — An AWOL infantry soldier caught with weapons and a bomb inside a backpack admitted planning what would have been Fort Hood’s second terrorist attack in less than two years, the Army said Thursday. He might have succeeded at carrying it out, police said, if a gun-store clerk hadn’t alerted them to the man’s suspicious activity.

“We would probably be here today, giving you a different briefing, had he not been stopped,” Killeen Police Chief Dennis Baldwin said, calling the plan a “terror plot.”

The 21-year-old suspect, Pfc. Naser Abdo, was arrested Wednesday at a motel about three miles from Fort Hood’s main gate. He had spoken out against the 2009 Fort Hood shootings last year as he made a public plea to be granted conscientious objector status to avoid serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.