– The Danish Institute in Damascus
– Centre for European Islamic Thought, University of Copenhagen
– The New Islamic Public Sphere Programme, University of Copenhagen
– Department of Near and Middle East Civilizations, University of Toronto
Applications are invited from graduate students working on their Masters
or PhDs for up to 12 places on a research ‘master class’ to take place
at the Danish Institute in Damascus 4-15 April 2011. The research
school will be staffed by four senior academics, one from each of the
organizing institutions. Each participant will submit a research paper
in advance, which will normally be a draft chapter from their
thesis/dissertation, plus an overall outline of the research project
identifying the topic, main research questions, theoretical and
methodological issues and a tentative chapter outline.
The programme will take place over two weeks and will consist of four
– Workshops led by a staff member in which each participant will have an
extended session to present and discuss the pre-submitted papers.
– Four plenary sessions at which each of the staff members will present
current research-in-progress for open discussion.
– A series of discussion meetings with significant and interesting local
researchers and personalities of relevance to the field.
– Excursions to sites and institutions of interest within and outside